March 12 - Extracts of Pastoral Letter
This is an extract from the Pastoral Letter - Suspension of Masses and Other Public Gatherings of the Faithful in the Face of the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- All weekend and weekday public masses will be suspended from 14th of March (or the 13th of March, if the state’s weekend begins on Friday) to the 29th of March 2020.
- This exemption is a temporary measure in the face of the current crisis.
- Archdiocesan Social Communication Ministry of the Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur is making arrangements to broadcast Masses over the weekends in the various major languages and weekday Masses in English. Live Broadcast URL link - https://Tv.ArchKL.org
- Priests are still required to offer Masses in private for the spiritual good of the Church, the intentions of the faithful, and the alleviation of the present crisis.
- All catechism classes should be closed and catechetical programmes and activities should be cancelled during this same period.
- All meetings, gatherings, formations, RCIA sessions, fellowships and events in church or in the BEC are to be cancelled and put on hold during this period.
- Any weddings or funerals are to be conducted privately with guests limited to immediate family members and close friends. Please contact your parish priest for further details.
- For the sacraments of penance (confession), anointing of the sick and Holy Communion for the homebound, kindly contact the parish office for an appointment with your parish priest. The priests are to take the necessary health precautions in administering the Sacraments.
- Churches, chapels or prayer rooms (where applicable), shall remain open for private and personal prayer and Eucharistic adoration according to the times scheduled by the respective parishes. Please contact your parish office/ parish website for details.
- We also declare that the 19th of March 2020, Solemnity of Saint Joseph, Spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, protector of the Church, be designated as a day of prayer and fasting to invoke Saint Joseph’s intercession and God’s intervention for an end to this crisis.