Oct 2: Chancery Notice Extracts
This is an extract from the Chancery Notice on 2nd October 2020
COVID 19 Update on Pastoral Guidelines
- Archdiocesan Crisis Management Task Force has issued a medical alert and has advised the local church to treat this matter with urgency and exercise greater vigilance within our communities to mitigate the spread of infection and protect the most vulnerable members of our communities.
- Most Reverend Julian Leow D.D., the Archbishop of Kuala Lumpur has decided to call all parishes to scale down all in-person activities to ensure that our most essential activity which is the Mass can continue for the spiritual good of the faithful. Public Masses may continue in accordance with the MKN SOP and Archdiocesan Guidelines.
Pursuant to paragraph 1.3, the following in-person activities should be deferred until further notice:
- BEC Gathering;
- Sunday School classes;
- RCIA sessions
- meetings/ formations.
- Private functions, in-house dining and meal fellowships.
- Participation of BEC members at funeral wakes.
Where possible, the above activities may be conducted virtually using on-line platforms.
- Distribution of holy communion to the homebound should be reviewed to determine if the present protocols in each parish are sufficient to protect both the extraordinary minister of holy communion and the home-bound communicant.
- Weddings, funerals, Confirmation Masses, Masses for First Holy Communion, confessions, anointing of the sick, and infant baptisms may continue.
Blessing of Cemeteries - Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed (All Souls Day)
- Due to the current public health situation, no public gathering (Mass or prayer service) are to be organised in the cemeteries.
- The priests and the assisting ministers, upon arriving at the cemetery at the appointed time, should proceed to bless the graves immediately.
- The Archdiocesan Liturgical Commission will be preparing a short prayer format for use by families during their visit to the grave sites.
Rev Fr Michael Chua
Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur