Dec 12: Chancery Notice Extracts
This is an extract from the Chancery Notice on 12th December 2020 - On Gaining a Plenary Indulgence on the Occasion of the 125th Anniversary of the Coronation of Our Lady of Guadalupe - 12th December 2020
- Marking the 125th anniversary of the Coronation of Our Lady of Guadalupe on 12 December, Pope Francis grants to all Catholic faithful of the world the possibility to obtain a plenary indulgence while remaining at home.
- An indulgence is the remission before God of temporal punishment for sins whose guilt is already forgiven.
- Conditions to be satisfied to obtain a plenary indulgence on this occasion:
- A person must prepare an altar or place of prayer to Our Lady of Guadalupe at home;
- Watch a livestream or televised Mass at the Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City on 12 December “actively participating with devotion and with exclusive attention to the Eucharist”; (this will be livestreamed at 2.00pm via https://Tv.ArchKL.org).
Complete the usual conditions for an indulgence by:
(a) praying for the Pope’s intentions;
(b) being in a state of grace after confession;
(c) attending a full Mass; and
(d) receiving communion.
- As public Masses remain suspended in many parts of the Archdiocese, His Grace, Archbishop Julian Leow D.D. hereby grants permission to those members of faithful who have no access to the sacraments “to acquire a plenary indulgence without confession and Communion provided that they are sorry for their sins and have the intention of receiving these sacraments as soon as possible” (Indulgentiarum doctrina, 1 January 1967, n. 11).
- The condition of praying for the Holy Father’s intention is fully satisfied by reciting one Our Father and one Hail Mary; nevertheless, one has the option of reciting any other prayer according to individual piety and devotion, if recited for this intention.
- In addition to the above, His Grace, Archbishop Julian Leow would also like to encourage the faithful of the Archdiocese to follow the live stream Mass from the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Puchong, at 8 pm (the chaplet will be recited at 7.30 pm), 12th December 2020. The Mass will be streamed from tv.olgpuchong.org and https://TV.ArchKL.org.
Rev Fr Michael Chua
Archdiocese of Kuala Lumpur