Religious Communities

 

Religious Brothers

Brothers of Christian Schools (FSC)

(De La Salle Brothers)

La Salle Provincialate

P.O.Box 304
Lorong 15-D, off Jalan Chantek 5/13
46730 Petaling Jaya
Selangor

Phone +603 7956 6003 / 7955 6648
Facsimile +603 7057 4782

Director Malaysia: Bro. Anthony Rogers, FSc
Director: Bro. Augustine Julian, FSC


St. John's Institution, Brothers' Community

Jalan Bukit Nanas
50250 Kuala Lumpur

Phone +603 2072 8594

Director: Bro. Andrew Loke, FSC


La Salle Hall

Lorong 5/15B, off Jalan Chantek
46000 Petaling Jaya
Selangor

Phone +603 7956 5866
Facsimile +603 7956 7131

Director: Bro. Anthony Rogers, FSC


La Salle Port Dickson

8 Batu 2, Jalan Pantai
71000 Port Dickson

Phone +606 647 7106

Director: Bro. Augustine Julian, FSC

De La Salle Brothers"Saint John Baptist de La Salle", was born in Rheims, France in 1651.

At a time when education remained the privilege of the rich elite, and moved by the plight of the poor who seemed so "far from salvation" either in this world or the next, he determined to put his own talents and advanced education at the service of the children "often left to themselves and badly brought up." To be more effective, he abandoned his family home, moved in with the teachers, renounced his position as a cathedral canon of Rheims, and relinquished his wealth, and so formed the community that became known as the Brothers of the Christian Schools (De La Salle Brothers).

De La Salle and his Brothers created a network of quality schools throughout Malaysia in 1950s that featured instruction in the vernacular, students grouped according to ability and achievement, integration of religious instruction with secular subjects, well-prepared teachers with a sense of vocation and mission, and the involvement of parents.

De La Salle died at Saint Yon near Rouen early in 1719 on Good Friday, only weeks before his sixty-eighth birthday. This photo which is the statue of the saint, patron of Christian teachers, is in the nave of St Peter's Basilica in Rome.

Brothers of St. Gabriel (SG)

Jalan Montfort
40150 Shah Alam, Selangor

Phone +603 5519 1735
Facsimile +603 5510 2858

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  
www.montfort.org.my 

Local Superior: Bro. John Albert

Local Members:
Bro. Peter Kolandaisamy
Bro. Mark Tee Chu Pew

St GabrielGabriel, BROTHERS OF Saint. — The Congregation of the Brothers of Christian Instruction of St. Gabriel was originally founded by Blessed Louis Grignon de Montfort in 1705, but it did not spread much till it was amalgamated with one founded in 1835 by Monsignor Deshayes, Vicar-General of Rennes. It took the anomalous title of the Brothers of St. Gabriel; because the first chapel of the congregation was dedicated to St. Gabriel; this was at Boulogne.

The object of the congregation is the Christian education of the young and also of the blind, the deaf, dumb, and the care and education of orphans. The members take no vows, but after making a novitiate of three years they promise to obey the superior and to devote themselves to the works of their institute; they are generally men of sufficient means to support themselves. They are governed by a superior elected by the votes of the whole community for three years: he is assisted by four counsellors elected in the same way.

The congregation in 1851 had as many as ninety-one houses mostly in France and in the Diocese of Frankfort in Germany. Later it had 122 schools in France besides two for the blind and eight for deaf-mutes. The French mother-house was at St. Laurent-sur-Sevre in Vendee: in 1880 it had 790 members. Recent statistics give the congregation 170 schools and colleges, eight asylums for the deaf and dumb, three for the blind and several homes for orphans. The novitiate for Canada is at Sault-au-Recollet near Montreal. The brothers have a college at Montreal and four schools in the archdiocese, besides three schools in the Diocese of Three Rivers and one at St. Ours in the Diocese of St. Hyacinth.

Note: Above photo is known as "Comper's St. Gabriel", is found from the rood screen of St. Cyprian's Church, Clarence Gate in London.

 

Congregation of the Disciples of the Lord (CDD)

CDD House
2, Jalan 25/23, Taman Plaza
47301 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

In-residence: Rev. Fr. Lawrence Ng Tai Wah, CDD

CardCostantiniCongregation of the Disciples of the Lord (also known as , Congregatio Discipulorum Domini also its translation in Latin) is a Catholic religious institute, founded by Cardinal Celso Costantini on 31 March 1931 at Xuanhua (Süanhwafu) of Chahar Province in China.

Celso Benigno Luigi Costantini (April 3, 1876 – October 17, 1958) was an Italian cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church who served as Apostolic Chancellor from 1954 until his death, and was elevated to the cardinalate in 1953 by Pope Pius XII.

CDD in Malaysia
In 1957, six months from National Day, the first batch of CDD priests arrived in Bentong, Pahang to take charge of the Bentong Catholic High School. For over 50 years, the CDD missionary work in Pahang never ceased, placing emphasis and importance on both pastoral work and educational matters.

In the 70s, the CDD members crossed over to Selangor to serve at local parishes and churches. In the 80s, the order turned their attention to Malacca, setting up a minor seminary concentrating on the formation of 'new blood'. Beginning in the 90s, they began to promote evangelization through literary works.

In 2006, as the order celebrated the 75th anniversary of the founding of the CDD, they officially offered their services to the Penang Diocese.

In 2007, with the celebration of the 50th anniversary of CDD presence and service in Malaysia, the order formally rendered their services to the Toronto Archdiocese of Canada.

Currently there are fourteen (14) CDD priests in Malaysia who continue to spread the Gospel, thus inheriting the words of our forefather while enlightening the young to continue relentlessly in missionary works.

Marist Brothers (FMS)

Marist Brothers Community
1A, Jalan 10/3
46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Phone +603 7956 1164
Facsimile +603 7958 2276

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
www.maristbr.com 

Regional Head: Bro. Robert Teoh, FMS

Superiors:
Bro. John Chin FMS
Bro. Anthony Cheng, FMS
Bro Paul Sung, FMS

The Marist Brothers are an international community of more than 3,500 Catholic Brothers dedicated to making Jesus known and loved through the education of young people, especially those most neglected. FMS stands for Fratres Maristae a Scholis (Marist Brothers of the Schools).

St. Marcellin Champagnat, a priest from France, founded the Congregation of the Marist Teaching Brothers in 1817. Marist Brothers are educators, counselors, social workers, youth leaders and missionaries. Every day they transform the lives and situations of thousands of young people through education and spirituality, challenging young people to live their fullest potential in Christ. While most of the Brothers minister in school settings, MaristBrotherothers work with young people in parishes, religious retreats and spiritual accompaniment, at-risk youth settings, young adult ministry and overseas missions.

Marist Brothers strive to make a difference in the world by showing young people that they are loved, safe and cared for. Worldwide, there are more than 3,500 Marist Brothers working in 79 countries on 5 continents. They directly share their mission and spirituality with more than 40,000 laypeople, and together they are educating close to 500,000 children and young people.

Marist Brothers: real people, with real stories, who make a real difference.


Note: Above photo is known as "St Marcellin Champagnat statue with two students" is found in Donnelly Hall, Marist College, Poughkeepsie, New York. Through their hard work, sweat and sacrifice, the Marist Brothers have and still are fulfilling the dream of St Marcellin Champagnat to educate the youth of the world. Donnelly Hall and the other buildings built by them at Marist College are testimony to their faith and commitment.

Order of Friars Minor - Capuchins (OFM)

Gethsamany Friary
Batu 7, Jalan Cheras
43200 Cheras, Selangor

Phone +603 9074 7659
Facsimile +603 9074 4873

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Custos: Friar Michael Raymond, OFM, Cap

The Order of Capuchin Friars Minor (in Latin: Ordo Fratrum Minorum Capuccinorum - abbreviated: O.F.M.Cap.) is an Order of friars in the Catholic Church, among the chief offshoots of the Franciscans. The worldwide head of the Order, called the Minister General, is currently Brother Mauro Jöhri.

St. Francis of Assisi (1181-1226) founded the Order of the Friars Minor (the Lesser Brethren or Little Brothers). After his death (and ever since) there have been many reforms breaking the Order into different groups. In 1897, Pope Leo XIII regrouped the Friars Minor into three branches:

1.The Order of Friars Minor of the Leonine Union
2.The Order of Friars Minor Conventual
3.The Order of Friars Minor Capuchin

The Conventuals and the Capuchins were already in existence but the Friars Minor of the Leonine Union were brought together from smaller groups; they are also called quite simply “The Order of Friars Minor”, “Observants” or “Franciscans”. All three Orders are truly Franciscan; they all follow the Rule of St. Francis: they differ in their constitutions and there are slight differences in their habits, for instance the Capuchins are bearded while the others are shaven.

The Capuchins are the strictest observants of the Franciscan Rule, while the Conventuals are the most relaxed. The Observants or the Franciscans are in between but perhaps closer to the Capuchins. The Capuchins were started in 1525 in Italy by Blessed Matthew of Basci; he wanted to return Redeemed by the Precious Bloodto the pure spirit of St. Francis. Even our habit is closer to the original. The name comes from the Italian “cappuccino” (“ little hood”) : the children made fun of the new friars’ hoods which were not little but big in comparison with the other Franciscans’. Capuccino coffee gets its name from its color, which is supposed to be like our habit also.

 

"Redeemed by the Precious Blood..." - "Christ entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.

For if the sprinkling of defiled persons with the blood of goats and bulls and with the ashes of a heifer sanctifies for the purification of the flesh, how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without blemish to God, purify your conscience from dead works to serve the living God". (Hebrews 9:12-14).

Note: Photo on the left is known as "Redeemed by the Precious Blood...". The Crucifix is from the High Altar of the Capuchin church in Salamanca, Spain.

 

Society of Jesus (SJ)

Xavier Hall
135 Jalan Gasing
46000 Petaling Jaya

Phone +603 7955 0464
Facsimile +603 2026 8290

www.mas-jesuits.org 

Acting Superior: Rev. Fr. Norris Sreenivasan, SJ

The Society of Jesus (Latin: Societas Iesu, S.J., SJ or SI) was founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola and nine companions (Francis Xavier, Peter Faber, Diego Laínez, Simão Rodrigues, Alfonso Salmerón, Nicolás Bobadilla, Claude Jay, Paschase Broët, Jean Codure) in the early 16th century.

St. Ignatius was a Basque nobleman, courtier and soldier, who later renounced his worldly ways and became a mystic. While studying at the University of Paris, Ignatius formed a fellowship with a group of students who shared his desire of serving the Lord.

Ignatius and six of the first companions took private vows after completing their studies, and had wanted to proceed to serve the Lord in the Holy Land. But they were unable to go due to the precarious situation there at the time. A mystical experience at La Storta, just outside the Eternal City, prompted Ignatius to lead the companions to Rome and place themselves under the service of the Pope. In 1540, their petition to become a religious institute was approved by Pope Paul III.

Society of Jesus 3Jesuits in Malaysia
The first Jesuit to arrive in Malaya was St. Francis Xavier. He visited Malacca in 1545, and subsequently, he sent Fr. Francisco Perez and Br. Roque de Oliveira to Malacca to start a community and school. After Malacca had fallen to the Dutch in 1641, the Jesuits, together with other religious and priests, were expelled from Malacca.

The society returned to Malaya in the mid 20th century with the arrival of two French Jesuits by way of China- Frs. Andrew Joilet and Monsterleet from the Champagne province. Fr. Joilet started working at the Church of the Sacred Heart in Singapore, before moving north to serve in Kota Bahru, while Fr. Monsterleet did catechetical work among the school children in Singapore for a few months. They were soon followed by Jesuits from Canada and the United States. Fr. James Kearney from the Oregon province was the editor of the Malayan Catholic News from 1951 to 1959, and Canadian Frs. Berube and Eugene Audet were respectively assigned to work at the Cathedral of the Good Shepherd in Singapore and as chaplain to the Convent School in Penang.

Fr. Patrick Joy, an Irish Jesuit, was appointed superior of the Jesuits in Malaya in 1951. Soon after he arrived in Singapore, with the support of Bishop Michael Olcomendy, he initiated the construction of a hostel for trainee teachers. The Kingsmead Hall Jesuit community and student hostel started operations in 1954. The first Jesuit community in Singapore consisted of Frs. Patrick Joy, Kevin O'Dwyer, James Kearney and Brian Kelly, who also served as hostel warden. The Church of St. Ignatius, adjacent to Kingsmead Hall, was opened in 1961, and Fr. O'Dwyer became the first parish priest.

In 1955, Bishop Dominic Vendargon of the newly erected diocese of Kuala Lumpur invited the Jesuits to work there. They accepted the offer and started planning for the construction of a church and youth centre. The Church of St. Francis Xavier and Youth Centre were opened in 1961 in Petaling Jaya. Fr. Geoffrey Murphy was appointed parish priest, and Fr. Brian Kelly assumed the role of warden of the centre.

 

Copy of Society of Jesus 2"Emblem of the Society of Jesus" - In 1541 St Ignatius of Loyola adopted the Christogram of the Holy Name of Jesus as his seal as General of the Society of Jesus. The letters IHS come from the Greek spelling of Jesus: ΙΗΣΟΥΣ.

In 1584, an alternative seal of the Society introduced. The new seal has the three nails stuck in a heart (as shown in above photo) as on the title page of the 1586 edition of the Ratio Studiorum. The three nails are an expression of the three vows. The disciple who wishes to follow in the footsteps of his crucified lord, let himself be nailed to the cross through the three vows.

Note: Photo on the right is known as "Emblem of the Society of Jesus". This Jesuit seal is found in the Church of Il Gesù in Rome.

Above photo detail from the front of the Jesuit residence in Edinburgh, showing the insignia of the Society of Jesus. It displays a shortened form of the Holy Name of Jesus, with the three nails which pierced Christ's hands and feet, and the Cross.

Religious Sisters

Canossian Daughters of Charity (FDCC)

Canossa Convent
7645 School Lane (Jalan Jinjang Indah II)
Jinjang Utara
50200 Kuala Lumpur

Local Superior: Sr. Christie Ho, FDCC

magdalen2The Canossian Daughters of Charity, Servants of the Poor is an international missionary congregation of women founded by St. Magdalene of Canossa (1774 - 1835), canonized in 1988. Our actions arise from our identity born of Christ crucified, the Greatest Love. We are called to journey in simplicity, sharing a common life at the service of our brothers and sisters on every continent. Through ministries of education and human promotion, evangelization and faith formation, and pastoral care among the suffering, we strive to touch each person with the love of God. Our motto is “to make Jesus known and loved,” especially to those most in need.


Canossian Family
Canossian Daughters of Charity (FDCC) , Servants of the Poor (briefly Canossian Sisters), is a Catholic religious institute founded by Magdalene of Canossa in Verona, Italy, in 1828. They strive "To Make Jesus Known and Loved" addressing the needs of the poor and abandoned through sharing bread, understanding, education, evangelization, pastoral care of the sick, formation of the laity and spiritual exercises. Today they count eighteen provinces with approximately 2,700 Sisters in more than 336 communities and in 35 countries around the world. (FDCC or F.D.C.C is the Italian abbreviation of "Figlie Della Carità Canossiane").

Canossian Sons of Charity (FdCC), brothers and priests, briefly Canossian Fathers, were founded in Venice in 1831. They count today about 200 members, dedicated to the education of children and young people through cathechesis in schools, orphanages, youth centers (oratories) and other works of charity towards the poor and the least. They are present in Italy, Brazil, Kenya, Tanzania, India and the Philippines. (FdCC means "Figli della Carità Canossiani").

Association of Lay Canossians (ALC) (Canossian Tertiaries or Collaborators) are married and unmarried lay men and women of diverse nationalities who feel called to live the charism and the spirituality of the Canossian Family in their personal, family and social life. They received their "Plan for the Tertiaries" in 1835 and today serve in Asia, Europe, Oceania, Africa and the Americas. They are counting about 2,150 members. (ALC stands for "Associazione Laici Canossiani"). .

International Canossian Voluntary Service (VOICA) (Canossian Volunteers) was legally established in 1996 to support and direct young people and adults from all parts of the world who are seeking to deepen the meaning and purpose of their lives by a personal experience of shared community life in a short or long term voluntary service of the poor. They are presently sharing in Canossian missionary projects in Togo, Congo, Uganda, Albania, Indonesia, Angola, Paraguay and Brasil. (VOICA is the abbreviation of "Volontariato Internazionale CAnossiano").

Canossian Foundation (ONLUS), established in 2004 in Rome, is a legal non-profit entity for human development, to promote, coordinate and sustain initiatives that favour the poorest and the most excluded in the world and also to raise funds for the Canossian Missions in Brazil, the Philippines, India, and Africa. (ONLUS in Italian stands for "Organizzazione Non Lucrativa di Utilità Sociale").

Carmelite Sisters (OCD)

Carmelite Monastery of Jesus, Mary & Joseph
c/o Carmelite Monastery, P.T. 8061, Kampung Pasir
Jalan Rasah, 70300 Seremban

Prioress: Sr. Teresa Margaret of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, OCD

The Discalced Carmelites, or Barefoot Carmelites, is a Catholic mendicant order with roots in the eremitic tradition of the Desert Fathers and Mothers. The order was established in 1593, pursuant to the reform of the Carmelite Order of the Ancient Observance by two Spanish saints, St Teresa of Ávila and St John of the Cross.
St Teresa Avile

The Discalced Carmelite order is now known by the initials "O.C.D." (The older branch of the order, Carmelites of the Ancient Observance, has the initials "O. Carm."). The secular branch of the order (the Secular Order of Discalced Carmelites, formerly known as the Third Order), has the initials "O.C.D.S."

Photo on the right is known as "St Teresa's birthplace" - The 17th-century convent of St Teresa was built after the canonization of St Teresa (1515-82) over the house where she was born in Avila, Spain.

Daughters of St Paul (FSP)

161, Jalan Gasing, Jalan 5/60
46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Phone +603 7782 0297
Facsimile +603 7782 6489

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 
www.daughtersofstpaul.com 

Superior: Sr. Bibianah Dunsia, FSP

God has chosen, called, and consecrated us to himself so that he might send us to proclaim the Good News of a loving God who sends his Son into a world desperate for hope.

The Daughters of St. Paul are a community of vowed women religious who dedicate our lives to sharing the unfathomable riches of the mystery of Christ with the people of today.

The Papal Basilica of St Paul Outside the Walls (Italian: Basilica Papale di San Paolo fuori le Mura), commonly known as St Paul's Outside the Walls, is one of Rome's four ancient major basilicas or papal basilicas: the basilicas of St. John Lateran, St. Mary Major, and St. Peter's and Saint Paul Outside the Walls. James Michael Harvey was named archpriest of the basilica in 2012.

"Inside St. Paul's Basilica" - The nave of St Paul's outside the Walls is lined with 80 columns of Montaforno granite. Much of San Paolo fuori le mura was rebuilt after a great fire in 1823. Materials came from all over the world, and the basilica retained the expanse and grandeur of an early Christian basilica. The basilica is built on top of the cemetery where St Paul, after his martyrdom by beheading c.65-67, was buried.

Note: Photo is known as "Inside St. Paul's Basilica", in Rome, Italy.

Franciscan Missionaries of Mary (FMM)

Assunta Convent
7 Lorong 4/52B
46050 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Phone +603 7782 4600
Facsimile +603 7784 1210

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Villa Hermine (House of Prayer/Formation)
22, Jalan SS1/6, Kg Tunku
47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Phone +603 7876 0486
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Superior
Sr. Patricia Choong, FMM

Assunta Hospital
Jalan Templer
46990 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Phone +603 7686 7000

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Pastoral Care Supervisor
Sr. Mary Anne Fletcher, FMM

Assunta Children Society (Assunta Foster Care)
12, Jalan 1/3, Old Town
46000 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Phone +603 7783 7105

Person-in-charge
Sr. Angela Wong, FMM

Our Lady of the Angels Convent
B-992, Jalan Gambut
25000 Kuantan, Pahang

Phone +609 555 4254

Superior
Sr. Enid Lopez. FMM

Assunta Social Centre
Jalan Tengku Muhammad, Alow Akar
25050 Kuantan, Pahang

Persin-in-charge
Sr. Anna Wong, FMM

helene de chappotinThe Franciscan Missionaries of Mary is a Roman Catholic religious institute founded by Mother Mary of the Passion (born Helene de Chappotin, 1839-1904) at Ootacamund, then British India, in 1877. The Missionaries form an international religious congregation of women representing 78 nationalities spread over 77 countries on five continents.

Mother Mary had to return to Rome in 1880 to resolve issues about the new foundation. She had to make yet another voyage there in June 1882. This one was to be a turning point in the identity of the Missionaries. Firstly, they were granted permission to open a house in Rome itself. Secondly, Mother Mary came into contact with Bernardino of Portogruaro, the Minister General of the Franciscan friars. Under his guidance, on 4 October that year (the feast day of St. Francis of Assisi), she was admitted to the Third Order of St. Francis, which was a return to the Franciscan vocation to which she had felt called when she was briefly a candidate in a monastery of the Poor Clares early in her life. The new congregation formally adopted the Rule of the Franciscan Third Order Regular on 15 August 1885. At that time they took the name of Franciscan Missionaries of Mary.

The work of the Franciscan Missionaries quickly spread to other countries, including China. It was there, in 1900, that 7 Franciscan Missionaries of Mary were murdered during the Boxer Rebellion, in which missionaries throughout that country were killed. These Sisters were canonized in A.D. 2000 as among the Martyrs of China.

By the time of Mother Mary of the Passion's death in 1904, there were 88 communities serving in 24 countries around the globe, serving a variety of services for women and children. There was a mission at Fantome Island, near Palm Island, Queensland as well as a leprosarium. Medical care centers have been opened worldwide, including Assunta Hospital in 1957 located at Petaling Jaya, Selangor.

As of 2011, the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary formed the fifth largest religious institute for women in the Catholic Church, with 6,698 members.

Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM)

St. Joseph's Convent
154, Jalan Bungur
42000 Port Klang, Selangor

Phone +603 3165 9894
Facsimile +603 3167 2224

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.fmdmsgmy.org

Local Leader: Sr. Cornelius Hoe

Franciscan - International Congregation of religious Catholic women who live the Gospel way of life as Saint Francis of Assisi.

Who is St Francis of Assisi? A radical reformer of the 13th century in Italy whose passionate commitment to Christ led him to a life of utter poverty in the service of the poor. Inspired by Saint Francis of Assisi, the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood (FMDM) reach out to care for the poor, sick and dying.

Missionaries - a willingness to be sent anywhere realizing that all people, whether living in our own country, across national or cultural boundaries, sharing the joy, the pain and the suffering of our brothers and sisters wherever.

Divine of Motherhood - Encouraging the birthing of new life in Christ by being a channel of God's maternal love, helping others to recognize the loving presence of God in their daily experiences. Sharing in Mary's divine motherhood especially to those most vulnerable in today's world include the family, children and women.

Our Mission - sharing the joy, pain and suffering of our brothers and sisters, especially the poor, sick and dying, the marginalized. Healthcare was one of the many ways in which the Congregation tries to fulfill its mission, hence Mount Alvernia Hospital, which was built as a Catholic Hospital in 1961.

St Francis of AssisiWhere we are? England, Scotland, Ireland, Rome, Nigeria, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Malaysia, Singapore, and Australia.


"When he gave praise he admonished others to give praise; praise was always on his lips, praise, indeed, of the Saviour. He invites the birds, the beasts and other creatures to praise the Creator." - Lauds antiphon from the feast of St Francis.

Note: Photo is known as "St Francis of Assisi". This mosaic of St Francis preaching to the birds is in Westminster Cathedral, London, UK. Designed by Leonard McComb, it was installed in 2008.

Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception (SSF/FSIC)

379, Jalan SS9A/9
Kg Seri Setia, Sungai Way
47300 Petaling Jaya, Selangor

Phone +603 7874 5672

www.fsicmalaysia.org

Sr. Lusiah Kayoh, FSIC
Sr. Irene, SSFS 

wachter sRight Rev. Msgr. August Wachter, a Mill Hill Missionary of the Society of St. Joseph founded the Congregation of the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Conception in 1936.

Founded primarily though not exclusively for the Local Church, the Sisters carry out their mission to all in need through Catechetics, Education, Homes and Hostels and Pastoral Care. Today, there are more than one hundred and twenty members including Novices and Postulants spread out in 34 small communities throughout Sabah and one each in Kuala Lumpur and Johor.


St Francis Lateren"St Francis in the Lateran apse" - "Saint Francis, having already learned through assiduous prayer what he should do, moved by the zeal of God, wished to live not for himself only, but for the benefit of others." - Matins antiphon for the Feast of St Francis.

Detail from the apse mosaic in The Papal Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, which shows the Pauper of Assisi between St Peter and the Virgin Mary, and with the Franciscan Pope Nicholas IV kneeling beside him.

Note: Photo is known as "St Francis in the Lateran apse". This mosaic is in The Papal Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, Rome, Italy.

Good Shepherd Sisters (RGS)

Good Shepherd Convent
8.8km, Jalan Ulu Klang
68000 Ampang, Selangor

Phone +603 4256 3852
Facsimile +603 4253 2976

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

www.gssmmission.org

Coordinator of KL: Sr. Theresa Heng

Pusat Kebajikan Good Shepheard (1956)

(Teenage Centre)
8.8km, Jalan Ulu Klang
68000 Ampang, Selangor

Phone +603 4256 3941
Facsimile +603 4256 5205

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Director: Ms Wilhelmina Mowe

Saint Mary Euphrasia Pelletier

Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd (Good Shepherd Sisters)

The Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd (also known as Good Shepherd Sisters) is an international congregation of religious women in the Roman Catholic Church, present in 72 countries in five continents.

The Good Shepherd Congregation was founded in Angers, France in 1835 by St. Mary Euphrasia Pelletier. She was born in the island of Noirmoutier in 1796 and was named Rose Virginie Pelletier. She entered the monastery of the Sisters of Our Lady of Charity in Tours and chose the name Sr. Mary Euphrasia. The Order of Our Lady of Charity was founded by St. John Eudes in Caen, France in 1641 for the care of girls and women in difficulty who wanted help to reform their lives. Each monastery was autonomous.

Sr. Mary Euphrasia became the superior of Angers and founded a contemplative community within the same monastery. Known today as the Contemplative Sisters of the Good Shepherd, their mission is to pray for those who under the care of the apostolic Sisters and for the salvation of persons throughout the world.

Requests for the foundation of other monasteries of Our Lady of Charity continued to arrive at the monastery in Angers. Unable to respond to all of these requests from the resources of a single monastery, Sr. Mary Euphrasia was inspired to request from Rome the founding of a Generalate which would link the monasteries together. In this way, there could be a sharing of Sister-personnel as well as other resources. Rome approved her request in January, 1835. With the foundation of the Generalate, the Congregation of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd was born. All communities founded from the monastery in Angers were part of this new Generalate as well as any monasteries of the Order of Our Lady of Charity who wished to join.

The Good Shepherd Sisters are called to a mission of reconciliation. They express their charism of merciful love through a contemplative life or an apostolic life. Like other religious, they consecrate themselves publicly to God through vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. As Good Shepherd Sisters, they have an additional fourth vow of zeal.

Their ministry is particularly with women and children who have been wounded by life’s circumstances and live on the edge of society. They accompany those who are in need and also network with other groups to change unjust structures in society.

Little Sisters of the Poor (LSP)

St. Francis Xavier Home for the Elderly
3, Jalan 5/96, off Jalan Sekuci
Taman Sri Bahtera, Batu 5 Cheras
56100 Cheras, Selangor

Phone +603 9131 1464
Facsimile +603 9131 0838

www.littlesistersofthepoor.org

Superior: Sr. Agnes Cecilia, LSP

St Jeanne JuganThe Little Sisters of the Poor are an international congregation of Roman Catholic women religious founded in 1839 by St Jeanne Jugan. Together with a diverse network of collaborators, we serve the elderly poor in over 30 countries around the world.

Continuing the work of St Jeanne Jugan, our MISSION is to offer the neediest elderly of every race and religion a home where they will be welcomed as Christ, cared for as family and accompanied with dignity until God calls them to himself.

Birthplace of St Jeanne JuganOur VISION is to contribute to the Culture of Life by nurturing communities where each person is valued, the solidarity of the human family and the wisdom of age are celebrated, and the compassionate love of Christ is shared with all.

Note: Photo on the left is the Birthplace of Jeanne Jugan in Cancale, France, courtesy of Haute Bretagne

Sisters of the Infant Jesus (IJS)

IJ Provincialate
Convent of Infant Jesus
Jalan Bukit Nanas
50250 Kuala Lumpur

Phone +603 2078 0613

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.infantjesussisters.org

Provincial: Sr. Celina Wong, IJS -(Phone +603 2031 6243)

Sisters of the Infant Jesus
Provincial House Community
Convent of the Infant Jesus
Jalan Bukit Nanas
50250 Kuala Lumpur

Phone +603 2031 7073

Animator: Sr. Paule Ng, IJS

Sisters of the Infant Jesus
51, Jalan Beberek, Kepong Baru
52100 Kuala Lumpur

Phone +603 6272 1201

Animator: Sr. Stephanie Samy, IJS

Sisters of the Infant Jesus
Batu 5 1/2, Jalan Cheras (Taman Mutiara)
56000 Kuala Lumpur

Phone +603 9131 3854
Facsimile +603 9130 4349

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Animator: Sr. William Fernandez, IJS

Asrama Cahaya
(Rumah Wanita Cacat)
Convent of the Infant Jesus
Jalan Bukit Nanas
50250 Kuala Lumpur

Phone +603 2078 0736
Facsimile +603 2078 3904

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Animator: Sr. Rosalind Tan, IJS

Sisters of the Infant Jesus
C755, Lorong OC 8/3
48100 Rawang, Selangor

Phone +603 6035 1054

Animator: Sr. Gemma Wong, IJS

Sisters of the Infant Jesus
Batu 3, Jalan Pantai, Bagan Pinang
71000 Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan

Phone +606 647 3606
(Closed for renovation)

Sisters of the Infant Jesus
211, Kg Pasir Rasah
70300 Seremban, Negeri Sembilan

Animator: Sr. Mary Theresa Chua, IJS

Convent of the Infant Jesus
Tanah Rata
39000 Cameron Highlands, Pahang

Phone +605 491 1495

Animator: Sr. Getrude Cheng, IJS

Barré IJ Centre
Lot 110, Jalan Besar
Tanah Rata
39000 Cameron Highlands, Pahang

Phone +603 4913 5561
Facsimile +603 4913 5161

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Administrator: Mr Anthony Kew

Nicholas BarreThe Sisters of the Infant Jesus, previously known as the Congregation of the Holy Infant Jesus or the Dames of Saint Maur, is a Roman Catholic religious institute, dedicated to education and the training of the poor for their betterment of their lives. They were founded in Paris in 1675, as part of the work of the Blessed Nicolas Barré, a Minim friar and Catholic priest (1621-1686), who had gathered some young women for the free instruction of the poor in Rouen in 1662. The members of the Institute use the postnominal initials of S.I.J. or I.J.S. (previously C.H.I.J.).

The foundation of Barré's schools and of the Sisters suggested to St. John Baptist de La Salle the idea of accomplishing a similar work for boys, resulting in his founding of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools.

After the destruction of the French Revolution had closed all the schools of the Institute, it was not until 1805 when a new community of teachers was formed by seven surviving members of the Institute. The new growth of the Institute was such that, by the mid-19th century, schools were opened in Spain and Asia. Sisters of the Holy Infant Jesus were among the pioneer missionaries in British Malaya, Japan and Thailand. In 1887, after over 200 years of service without the taking of religious vows, this congregation of Sisters became a religious institute of pontifical right, able to operate independently worldwide.

In 1970 a federation was established between the congregations of Paris and Rouen to facilitate a greater sense of cooperation and common identity. In 2007 a revival of the original form of life was established, one open to both women and men, called the Fraternity of the Infant Jesus, whereby they can live and serve in the spirit of Barré.

Today, the IJS Sisters desire is to make Jesus Christ known and loved through a variety of ministries which continue to evolve according to the needs in each country. Their particular focus is to reach out to those who are most in need. At present IJS Sisters involvements include ministry to children and young people; support of migrants and the education of their children; working with prisoners and their families; teaching children with speech and hearing disabilities; providing riding for disabled children and young people; organising agricultural projects in the Andes. In addition, IJS Sisters continue to teach in primary and secondary schools, to run medical centres in Africa and to be involved in pastoral and parish ministries.


CHIJMES"The Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus" - CHIJMES is a historic building complex in Singapore, which began life as a Catholic convent known as the Convent of the Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) and convent quarters known as Caldwell House. The complex is located at Victoria Street, Singapore.

This complex of convent buildings has a Gothic-style chapel. It was used as a Catholic convent for 132 years, with Caldwell House constructed in 1840–1841 and the chapel in 1904. The last religious service was held in the chapel on 3 November 1983, after which the chapel was deconsecrated and the town convent was closed.

The chapel, now a multi-purpose hall, is known as CHIJMES Hall, and Caldwell House, now an art gallery, have both been gazetted as national monuments. The complex has been restored for commercial purposes as a dining, shopping and entertainment centre with ethnic restaurants, shops and a function hall, providing a backdrop for musicals, recitals, theatrical performances and weddings.

Note: Photo courtesy of William Ng